Haiti Disaster Relief

If you are searching for initiatives or places where you can make a donation toward earthquake relief efforts in Haiti, please have a look at the list below. Please also remember that if you can’t donate your money, you can always donate your time; organize a collection of any or all of the items listed below, and drop them off at a local charity.

Doctors Without Borders

Doctors Without Borders provides medical relief to those directly affected by the disaster. 87% of donations go toward program services (the other 13% goes toward administration, management and fundraising).

Haiti Emergency Relief Fund

Democracy Now made special mention of this organization on their Wednesday morning broadcast. The HERF website outlines exactly what initiatives donations to their organization support.

Housing Works NYC

Housing Works and the Haitian AIDS group FEBS collaborated on the first march of openly gay people in Haiti, many of whom were HIV-positive. You can donate through the Housing Works website and specify that your resources go to their Haiti Relief Initiative.

Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund

You can donate via the Yele Haiti website, or use your cell phone to text “Yele” to 501501, which will automatically donate $5 to the Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund (it will be charged to your cell phone bill).

If you are based in Brooklyn, St. Paul’s Community Baptist Church is allowing Yele Haiti to take collections of the items listed below at the following address: St. Paul’s Community Baptist Church, 859 Hendrix Street (btwn Linden Blvd and Stanley Ave), Brooklyn, NY 11207 (courtesy Facebook friends):

  • blankets
  • solar flashlights
  • power bars/protein bars
  • clothing
  • hygiene supplies
  • medical supplies

There are rumors circulating that American Airlines and UPS are organizing initiatives involving free shipment of relief items and free flights for medical personnel. Please double-check your information. Last I read, UPS had actually suspended operations in Haiti due to the catastrophe, and I have yet to hear of any airline industry willing to hand out free flights out of the goodness of its heart.

Advertisements